Monday, August 28, 2017

Religion not relationship

Part III
Religions not relationship

I am often struck by how the religions of the world, people are working so hard to appease their gods. Walking home one night, my friend and I came upon a procession. There was a lighted-gold alter, pulled by two oxen and followed by large generators to power the lights. The men carried a large extendable ladder to push up power lines so that the large alter could safely pass underneath.The people were walking for maybe more than one hour along the route to take the new statue to her resting place. This was the first time in 50 years, she will be replaced. One man said, This is the most powerful time because it is a new statue. The people would come out of their houses with fruit baskets and coconut. The coconuts would be smashed on the ground and then lit on fire. The basket was lifted up toward the idol. The oxen were given brightly colored scarves and flowers along the route.
As the ox got tired, two fresh ones came in to give them respite. The team had to move the alter up a small hill. The ox became quite tired and men were called in to help get their god up the hill. The men had to assist the ox going down the small incline also. The god had to be assisted to be moved off the carrying alter and into the temple. Then sacrifices were offered with food and incense. There were dancers and musicians and food celebreating outside. The celebration will take place for the next 7 days. The faithful were rewarded and the toursits alike with food and milk tea.

What struck me in all this was that my God is my defender. When I can not overcome, my God helps me to overcome. My God needs no assistance to his house, he needs no help to go up or down small hills. He does not need ox to help him. We don't need to be afraid of his anger and appease him. He realized that we could do nothing to compensate, so He did everything.
He speaks to me and my life is the sacrifice. My time, my money, my attitudes are the offering to him. When I fall down, when I mess up, He simply picks me back up, and He restores me and we keep going. I am greatful for his great love and faithfulness. I feel too close to failing and have to keep my eyes firmly focused on him.
He is the one working all things out in me.

Part IV
Non-Religion lifestyle
- [ ] Non-religious people are so thirsty for what is true, they literally throw themselves whole-heartidly into anything, any relationship, and event in hopes it cures the thirst, even for some minutes.
- [ ] Their pleasure dictates their tastes. There is no regard for other people, only what will assuage their current owwies. They want to be treated with respect and hope for lasting relationships and goodness from others.
- [ ] When it feels like they are drinking with a straw and trying to make themselves feel better but taking off others, then you know-ahh Thirsty.
- [ ] We are all thirsty, but what do I use to wrap myself in when I feel sad, happy, frustrated? Do I cling to the fact that Father God has wrapped me in his love and bury my head there? Do I try to get my owwies met through relationships, through judging people on fb, through trying to connect to lost love? Where is my source?
- [ ] Do I know how to drink to feel my soul restored and refreshed? Am I moving the direction of that? Making it more of a go-to position than before?

No comments:

Post a Comment