Monday, August 28, 2017

English summer camp Taiwan and Malaysia

Aug 26, 2017

on a bus Somewhere between Kuala Lumpur and Johur Bakur, Malaysia


Part I
Camp in Taipei, Taiwan

I got the privilege to work at an English summer camp in Taipei. It has been my desire to learn Chinese and to return to Taiwan. I think that I am being directed to learn Korean instead. I had a classroom of 22 brilliant kids age 11-12. They kept me on my toes and I learned a bit of Chinese too. In the 3 weeks, I had a roommate at my hotel. She was a woman who is mid 40's and extremely negative about everything in life. This proved to be challenging for me to stay close and lean into God.

I faced becoming negative and angry also. I had some pretty bad days where I acted quite poorly. In the middle of this, I was able to remember who I am in Jesus and to apologize and to set things right. I was able to talk to my roommate about how I had done poorly and why I could change course. Being human and unfinished is sometimes a frustration but by being open, this helped her have an upclose glance at how a person who calls themselves a follower of Jesus may act. She has had some disasterous experiences and this was an encounter for her.

I also was overjoyed to be asked to play worship music in the closing ceremony of the school. I was equally delighted to play at Aroma coffee shop, due to meeting up with the family of a dear friend from Vienna. I feel humbled and priveleged to be able to give my offering. Some of the collegues from camp, both local teachers and international came to listen to. It was very special for me.

Part II
Camp in Malaysia with Korean students

I next came to teach at a school and live on a golf resort. I was excited to have access to a swimming pool and made use of it by swimming one hour nearly every day. It was hot, muggy weather so it was refreshing to swim in the night air.
I was extremely pleased and blessed to find three other Christian teachers. The students found out we were Christian and were going to have a praise and worship time and wanted to come. We had a full house every time with students inviting their non-churched friends. We served food and sang songs in Korean and English. Megan spoke a bit of Korean and helped with worship and community. Cassie helped with food and media.  I was super excited to be able to present a short teaching, through acting and having an interpreter, and to play my guitar for worship.  One day, Megan and I got to pray for each student and give prophetic words over them. It was amazing as I got words for them, Megan confirmed the word as she personally knew the students. Yes, Jesus!!!!
We encouraged the students, range age 12-16, to be the body, to have encouraging words and scripture and to pray for each other. The structure they are in is heirarchicahal and they must wait until they are pastors to be able to serve. We spoke about how they each have Holy Spirit and are free to live and pray for each other. To hear from God and do his will. To enjoy his deep love and to love others. We were always so overwhelmed with the kids coming early and excited to help set up and often, what we thought was a quick 15-20 minute meeting turned into a 1-1 1/2 hour gathering. The kids would linger and just talk and it was so special. These kids are so in my heart. We are mainting connection on fb and will keep encouraging them to move forward with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment